The Club was founded on 25 April 1891 as a nine hole golf course on the same site where it stands now. The land was then known as The Gravel Pits. In 1920 the Club bought the freehold of the land and extended the course to eighteen holes.
By the end of 1894 the first version of the current clubhouse, fronting on to the Rickmansworth Road, was completed and open for business. Many changes were seen over the following years and in 1972 the Clubhouse was almost totally rebuilt and extended to its present size.
During both World Wars, parts of the course were re-purposed to support the war effort with fairways mown up for potato growing and hay making and sheep allowed to graze on the course. By 1941 the clubhouse had been requisitioned by the War Department and occupied by the Irish Guards, Queen Victoria Rifles, the Kensington Regiment and the London Scottish.
In 1991 the milestone of 100 years was reached and the Centenary celebrations will long remain in the memories of the members. A beautiful stone bridge was built over the stream by the first tee to mark the occasion.
In the 21st Century, the club has continued to develop both the course and clubhouse. All the greens have been completely relaid to USGA standards, the bunkers reconstructed, the terrace rebuilt and the locker rooms and showers completely refurbished. Future plans include building a halfway house, state-of-the-art practice facilities and improving the irrigation and drainage across the course.
The club is a Company Limited by guarantee; it owns all its property and buildings, including 6 residential properties around the vicinity.